Monday, January 3, 2011

Fast and Easy Tortillini Soup


Here is one of my favorite, easy and healthy choices for a warm winter soup. I start by boiling 3 or 4 chicken breasts and add either fresh or frozen vegetables depending on the amount of time I have. I also try to spice it up a bit by switching the soup sometimes with sausage instead of chicken. Try to make it your own by creating the soup that your family will eat. Oh... one other substitution I like is using organic chicken broth from Trader Joes or your local grocery store instead of using canned broth (less sodium). When I serve the soup I will garnish with freshly shaved parmigiano, oh so good!
Time: approx. 45 min.

Tortellini Soup
    • 1 large can of chicken broth ( organic broth )
    • 3-4 cups of water
    • 1 medium onion minced
    • 4 chicken breasts cooked and cubed
    • 1-2 cloves of garlic
    • 1 package of California mixed vegetables ( fresh veggies of your choice )
    • 1 package of tortellini with cheese
    • 1 tsp of dried or fresh basil
    • 1 tsp of dried or fresh oregano
    • 1/2 stick butter
    • Salt to taste
    • Cook and cube chicken, either use the same stock ( I strain and use the water 3 or 4 cups I cooked the chicken in) and add  1 large (64 oz.) can of chicken broth or 2 boxes of organic (2 - 32 oz. ) in a new pot. Add onion, garlic, basil, and oregano. Heat through then add tortellini, when pasta is almost done add frozen or fresh vegetables. Use cauliflower, corn, broccoli, green beans and carrots or any veggies of your choice, I add fresh spinich for color.  Garnish with parmigiano and voila!





No comments:

add to wish list